I am a family member who has been cut out of a Will. Can I make an Inheritance Claim?

If there is a valid Will, you may be able to claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. The Act specifies who will be entitled to bring a claim under the Act, this includes, husbands and wives, former husbands of wives provided they have not remarried, children of the deceased, those treated as children of the deceased and other individuals who were dependent onthe deceased.

If the Will is not valid and there are no earlier Wills, the law sets out who will be provided for.

The rules around this are called the ‘rules of intestacy’. This provides for husbands and wives, children and other relations.

Contact us

We are aware that contesting a Will or defending a claim is a difficult time for those involved;  not only is there the pressure, stress and strain of being involved in legal action but this is at a time when you are grieving for a loved one and often involves family members. 

We pride ourselves on conducting inheritance disputes with the compassion and sensitivity required.We can provide you with a unique service, as our team are specialised not only in bringing contested claims after the event, but also in administering estates and Will drafting, so we can advise on steps to be taken to avoid claims.

For more information please contact Nicola Mitchell-Rodd on 01752 292278 or nmitchell-rodd@wolferstans.com or Kelly Pegg on 01752 292308 or kpegg@wolferstans.com.

    Get in touch to discuss how we can help you.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.