Application for a Grant of Probate Only Combined with an Application for Transferable Nil Rate Band
If you choose this option, we will prepare the papers for an application for a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration based upon information provided by you (the Personal Representatives), and then hand the estate back to you for completion. This applies to estates where Inheritance Tax is not usually payable and a straightforward Inheritance Tax account (IHT205) is required, but where in order for the estate to not be subject to Inheritance Tax it is necessary to claim the Transferable Nil Rate Band.
What is included?
- Preparation of the Statement of Truth and HM Revenue & Customs account (IHT 205) after details of the assets and liabilities of the estate are supplied by you
- Investigations into obtaining necessary information to claim the Transferable Nil Rate Band
- Meeting you to go through and sign all paperwork. This can also be arranged by post or email, if preferred
- Lodging the application with the Probate Registry and paying appropriate Court fees
- Forwarding copies of grant to you when received
What is not included?
- Preparation of any detailed inheritance tax account (IHT400)
- Claim for residence nil rate band or investigations into the same
- Payment of any Inheritance Tax or other taxes
- Investigations into any assets or liabilities of the estate
- Collection of and distribution of any estate assets
- Payment of any estate liabilities
- Preparation of any estate account
- Searches such as asset searches, bankruptcy searches, creditor notices
- Advice upon Deeds of Variation or interpretation of the Will
- Advice in relation to life policies or assets held in Trust or outside of the estate
What does it cost?
This service has a standard fee estimate for our charges of £1250 plus VAT. If an application is required urgently then we reserve the right to charge an additional fee for the urgency of the work.
The following fees will be in addition:
- Probate Court fees (£273 plus £1.50 per copy grant required)
- Land registry fees for Office Copy Entries (if required) (£3 plus VAT per property).
- Fees for copy death certificates, marriage certificates etc (£11 for the first certificate)
- Fees for a tracing agent (to be advised if required)
How long will it take?
It is difficult to predict how long the overall process will take as it will depend upon how quickly the information can be provided by you and how quickly the Probate Registry and other agencies can respond to the application. However, we expect to carry out our work within 6-8 weeks of receiving the papers from you.
In the event that additional work is required for any reason or an unforeseen complexity arises that means that the above pricing structure is no longer appropriate we would advise you of this at the outset, or as the situation arises.