Military Deafness – FAQs about bringing a claim to compensation

Military Deafness – FAQs about bringing a claim to compensation

Have you served in the Armed Forces and been exposed to excessive levels of noise from any of the following?

  • Mortars
  • Explosions
  • Pyrotechnics
  • Gun and artillery fire
  • Aircraft and/or vehicle engines
  • Ships engines
  • Ventilation and aircraft noise

If you have answered yes to both these questions, then you may be able to claim compensation.

To some, making a claim can be a daunting, confusing or stressful experience. At Wolferstans Solicitors we make it our priority to ensure that our clients have all the information they need to make a decision which is right for them.

Here are a few of the questions we regularly get asked about bringing a claim for military deafness:

What is it going to cost me to bring a claim?

At Wolferstans, all of our personal injury claims are run on a “No Win, No Fee” basis. This means that you will never be expected to pay any upfront fees, and if your case is unsuccessful for any reason then you will not be charged for any of the work we have carried out on your behalf. If your case is successful, we would be eligible to deduct a maximum of 25% of your damages to cover our fees. This deduction would be carefully calculated on the basis of what your settlement figure was and would be discussed with you in full.

What would I have to do to start a claim?

The first step would be to contact Wolferstans, and one of our expert team will get in touch and take some information from you about your exposure to noise and your hearing issues. Any consultation you have with us will be free of charge. Once we have had the chance to assess your claim, we will take you through the next steps.

Is there a time limit to bring a claim?

Yes, there is a 3-year time limit in which to bring a claim for military deafness claims. The start date for this 3-year time limit is deemed to be the date that you knew, or ought to have known that your hearing problems were due to your exposure to noise. For some, this date of knowledge can come years after their last exposure to excessive noise. Calculating this limitation date is not always straightforward, and your solicitor will always assist you with this.

Can I claim if I am still serving?

Yes, you can still make a claim even if you are still serving in the Armed Forces. Your supervisors/colleagues will not be made aware of your claim, it will be dealt with by solicitors appointed by the Ministry of Defence.

How much compensation will I receive?

To assess the potential damages available for hearing loss caused by military service, we will need to assess the impact on your career and personal life. In general, the compensation you can claim falls into two categories:

Financial losses – for any specific financial losses you have experienced or expect to experience as a result of your hearing loss. This includes paying for treatment, hearing aids etc, as well as lost income (including the loss of expected future income).

Non-financial losses – for your pain and suffering, as well as ‘loss of amenity’ i.e. no longer being able to carry out activities you were previously able to prior to the damage to your hearing.

Will I have to go to court?

We can never give a 100% guarantee that a claim will not go to trial, however, we will always try to settle a claim as soon as we are able to do so.

I have more questions about bringing a claim, what can I do?

We are always happy to answer any more questions that you may have. Please get in touch with us.

To arrange a free no obligation consultation please contact our Armed Forces Engagement Champion Natasha Mason on 01752 292274 or

    Get in touch to discuss how we can help you.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.