Types of Medical Negligence Claims
Wolferstans provides exceptional advice and representation to people across England and Wales in relation to all types of medical negligence claims.
The medical negligence lawyers at Wolferstans act for patients who have been injured in the course of many different kinds of medical treatment. We secure millions of pounds in compensation for our injured clients every year, dealing with everything from claims worth a few thousand pounds to multi-million pound claims.
With decades of experience in even the most complex and sensitive medical negligence claims and a strong track record of success, we can help you achieve a resolution to your claim faster, at lower cost and often without the need for you to attend a Court hearing.
No matter what type of medical negligence you have experienced, we have the expertise you need to ensure no detail is missed and that you have the very best chance of a fair outcome.
We offer a free initial no obligation consultation during which we will be able to tell you if you have a claim that justifies further investigation.
Types of medical negligence claims we handle
We regularly work with clients all over England and Wales on a wide range of claims, giving us exceptional specialist knowledge across all the common types of medical negligence.
Our expertise includes:
Accident and Emergency claims – Including mistakes in taking a patient history, failing to correctly examine you/your loved one or to note symptoms, not ordering appropriate investigatory action (e.g. X-rays or blood tests) etc.
- Ambulance service claims – Including failing to correctly assess a patient’s condition, failing to administer the right emergency treatment, communication errors between ambulance crew and hospital staff etc.
- Amputation claims – Including amputation as a result or misdiagnosis or late diagnosis, due to mistreatment of diabetes etc.
- Anaesthetic error claims – Including the patient feeling pain due to incorrect dosage or application of anaesthetic (anaesthetic awareness), brain damage due to lack of oxygen where the patient’s airways are not kept open correctly while under anaesthetic etc.
- Appendicitis claims – Including for late diagnosis leading to the appendix rupturing, infection following surgery etc.
- Birth injury claims – Including birth asphyxia, birth trauma to the mother, injury to the nerves in the baby’s shoulder (Erb’s palsy) and a wide range of other claims.
- Brain and head injury claims – Including misdiagnosis or late diagnosis of stroke, brain tumours, hydrocephalus and a number of other conditions, surgical errors and more.
- Brain tumour claims – Including misdiagnosis and late diagnosis of a brain tumour, surgical errors, mistakes in follow-up care etc.
- Cancer misdiagnosis and late diagnosis claims – Including claims by patients or their families where negligence treatment of cancer has resulted in or contributed to a terminal diagnosis.
- Cardiology and heart surgery claims – Including surgical errors, failure to correctly identify risk factors, post-surgical infections etc.
- Cauda Equina claims – Most commonly related to misdiagnosis and late diagnosis resulting in significant nerve damage and long-term symptoms.
- Cerebral Palsy claims – Typically related to a birth injury, such as birth asphyxia due to midwives and/or doctors failing to correctly identify and monitor risk factors or to take appropriate action, such as ordering a caesarean section when required.
- Cosmetic surgery claims – Including claims related to both physical and emotional trauma and complications from cosmetic surgery.
- Dental negligence claims – Including delayed diagnosis, misdiagnosis, incorrect treatment, poor quality treatment etc.
- Diabetes claims – Including late diagnosis, incorrect treatment, failure to treat sores etc.
- Elderly care claims – Including unacceptable nursing care, negligent treatment of pressure sores, inappropriate discharges from hospital etc.
- Endocarditis claims – Including late diagnosis and misdiagnosis, failure to provide appropriate care etc.
- Entonox claims – Including failure to carry out a risk assessment and excessive administration of nitrous oxide leading to vitamin B12 deficiency and spinal injury.
- Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) claims – Including nerve damage to the face, damage to the vocal cords, loss of hearing, loss of sense of smell and/or taste etc.
- Erb’s Palsy claims – Claims related to birth injuries due to inappropriate force being applied to a baby during a difficult delivery.
- Eye injury and visual impairment claims – Including failure to treat an eye injury correctly and visual impairment due to misdiagnosis or late diagnosis of conditions such as a detached retina.
- Falls in hospitals and care homes claims – For example, due to failure to carry out risk assessments or negligent nursing care.
- Fatal injury claims – Including misdiagnosis and late diagnosis of a range of conditions resulting in the death of the patient, as well as surgical errors and more.
- Fertility claims – Including related to artificial insemination, embryo testing and IVF, as well as fertility issues due to surgical negligence or misdiagnosis or late diagnosis of a number of conditions.
- Gastroenterology claims – Including misdiagnosis and delayed diagnosis, negligent treatment during endoscopy or other diagnostic procedures, side effects from mediation and other treatment etc.
- General surgery claims – Including surgical errors, post-surgical infection, ineffective follow-up care etc.
- Group B Strep claims – Including misdiagnosis, late diagnosis, failure to treat correctly etc.
- GP negligence claims – Including misdiagnosis, failure to correctly refer a patient for further treatment, misprescription of medication etc.
- Gynaecology and pregnancy negligence claims – Including damage caused during termination of pregnancy, failed sterilisations and wrongful birth, complications from hysterectomies, contraceptive side effects etc.
- Hearing loss claims – Including due to surgical errors, misdiagnosis and late diagnosis etc.
- Hospital negligence claims – Covering a wide range of issues, including misdiagnosis and late diagnosis, delayed treatment, negligent nursing care, inappropriate discharge etc.
- Hydrocephalus and blocked shunts claims – Including misdiagnosis and late diagnosis, surgical errors, post-surgical infection, failure to recognise and deal with a blocked shunt etc.
- Infections /infectious disease claims – Including diagnostic errors, delayed treatment, hospital-acquired infections such as MRSA etc.
- Inquests – We regularly represent clients at inquests into deaths related to a wide range of medical negligence issues.
- Lack of informed consent claims – Including clinical staff failing to disclose all appropriate information to a client or not obtaining appropriate consent before carrying out treatment.
- Maternal birth injury claims – Including perineal tears, incorrect suturing (stitching) of tears, retained placenta, problems with caesarean section wounds, infection.
- Medication error claims – Including prescribing and dispensing errors, failing to correctly monitor patient’s response to medication etc.
- Meningitis claims – Including diagnosis mistakes leading to misdiagnosis or late diagnosis as well as errors in treatment.
- Mental health negligence claims – Including failure to identify patients at risk of self-harm or suicide, inadequate supervision of patients, failure to prescribe the right medication or dosage etc.
- Misdiagnosis claims – Including due to failure to identify or record symptoms, not carrying out appropriate diagnostic tests etc.
- Nerve injury claims – Including due to surgical errors and birth injuries.
- Never Event claims – Including retained surgical swabs
- Nursing care negligence claims – Including claims related to both physical and emotional harm to patients due to negligence nursing care.
- Orthopaedic negligence claims – Including misdiagnosis and late diagnosis, surgical negligence, post-operative infections and more
- Prescription error claims – Including under-prescribing and over-prescribing, misprescription, failure to monitor side effects etc.
- Pressure sore claims – Including failure to undertake risk assessments and monitor and effectively treat pressure sores.
- Scarring claims – Including scarring as a result of an unnecessary procedure or negligently performed surgery
- Sepsis claims – Including claims related to misdiagnosis or late diagnosis of sepsis.
- Spinal and back injury claims – Including misdiagnosis, late diagnosis, surgical errors and more.
- Stillbirth, miscarriage and neonatal death claims – Covering a wide range of errors resulting in the loss of a baby
- Stroke/TIA claims – Including delays and failures to refer for investigation and treatment, late diagnosis and misdiagnosis of stroke.
- Surgical error claims – Covering a wide range of surgical errors and post-surgical care.
- Urology negligence claims – Including claims related to treatment of kidney stones, kidney failure and removal, testicular, prostate and bladder cancer, incontinence following surgery etc.
Our expertise in medical negligence claims
Our medical negligence solicitors have decades of experience in a wide range of types of claims, meaning that whatever your circumstances, we have the specialist expertise you need to achieve a fair outcome.
With a strong track record of success under the most challenging circumstances, we can make the process of pursuing compensation as simple, stress-free and effective as possible. In many cases we are able to secure a settlement without the need for you to attend court, making the claim process faster, more cost-effective and easier for you.
Wolferstans has been awarded the Law Society’s Lexcel accreditation in recognition of the excellence of our practice management and client care. We are also accredited by the Law Society for Clinical Negligence due to our exceptional expertise in this area.
Our team includes members of a wide range of organisations related to their specific expertise in the area of medical negligence, including:
- Headway – the brain injury association
- The Spinal Injuries Association
- The Brain Injury Group
- APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers)
- AvMA (Action Against Medical Accidents)
Specific members of our team have been accredited by the Law Socitey, AvMA and APIL as Clinical Negligence Specialists as well as by APIL, as Brain Injury Specialists.
Find out more about our medical negligence claims team.
Read our client testimonials and case studies.
Find out more about making a medical negligence claim
To find out more about how medical negligence claims work, please take a look at our page on the process of making a clinical negligence claim.
For more information about medical negligence claims, please take a look at our news, blogs and our series of helpful leaflets covering specific issues.
Start a medical negligence claim with us today
To arrange a free initial no obligation consultation and find out more about starting a medical negligence compensation claim please email us.